- Counsellors focus on "normal everyday people" with "everyday problems" such as relationship, stress, workplace, and grief loss and personal issues.
- Counsellors usually engage in one-on-one, family, or group work.
- Counsellors can refer clients to a General Practitioner or Psychologist for issues of a more serious nature.
- Counsellors adopt a positive approach towards clients, with a major focus on their capability for improvement, achievement and productivity.
- Counselling is a learning-oriented process, and counsellors are the facilitators.
- In New Zealand & Australia, a recognised Diploma is a generally accepted qualification level for the practice of Professional Counselling.
Please note that those seeking treatment who are in violent relationship, dangerous situation, or suffering depression or have suicidal thoughts should contact the relevant authorities that are more qualified to help them...for example Police, Doctor or Mental Health.
Wairarapa Mental Health ph 9469805. After hours ph 9469800.
Stopping violence services ph 3770933.
Rape crisis advice services ph 0800614614